STUDENT DRESS CODE
The policy of the St. Landry Parish School Board shall be that no mode of attire shall be considered proper for school wear that disrupts the classroom and/or the school's positive learning environment. In question regarding student dress and grooming, the principal or his/her designee of each school shall make the final decision as to what is considered proper or improper dress according to the guidelines provided. The Board desires to teach each student to use good judgment in his/her total appearance so that the attention of others is not distracted from the purpose of the school. Cleanliness and the values of the community shall be a basic consideration.
The St. Landry Parish School Board believes that a mandatory school uniform policy will provide a more secure environment, promote an atmosphere for greater discipline, and increase learning opportunities for all students. The student dress code policy shall apply to all students in grades pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. This policy shall apply to all students attending public schools in St. Landry Parish. The principal of each school shall make the final decision about proper or improper dress according to the guidelines provided. School Spirit Day and any other school activities requiring a deviation from the uniform policy will be left to the discretion of the principal. Any substantial complaint concerning the dress code shall be dealt with by the school administration.
- UNIFORM SHIRT - The shirt shall consist of a plain-collared white polo knit shirt, with no logo, and with either short or long sleeves. Each school will have the option of another colored shirt. The optional top may have the school logo imprinted on the left chest over the heart. All shirts must be tucked in at the student's waist. All shirts must be long enough to remain tucked when seated. An undershirt may be worn under the uniform top. The undershirt must be white and the sleeve cannot be longer than the sleeve length of the uniform top. Turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks are not allowed under/over the uniform shirt. *CMS SHIRT COLORS ARE KELLY GREEN AND WHITE!
- UNIFORM BOTTOMS - Bottoms shall consist of classic, traditional, straight leg dark khaki/navy blue cotton twill uniform pants or walking shorts with a finished hem (side slits on hems are not allowed). Uniform bottoms must fit at the waist and crotch and be within one (1) size of student's actual waist/inseam measurement. No cargo pockets or flaps on back pockets are allowed on uniform bottoms. Bell-bottoms, boot cut, carpenter/cargo style pants, hiphuggers or jeans of any color and/or type are not allowed. Brand name emblems on uniform bottoms may not exceed 1" to 2" in size. All uniform bottoms must have a waistband with belt loops. Walking shorts shall not be more than four inches (4") above the back crease of the knee. Sagging of the uniform bottoms will not be allowed.
- UNIFORM BOTTOMS FOR GIRLS - In addition to the above uniform bottoms, traditional style uniform jumpers and skirts will be allowed and must have a finished hem and shall not be more than four (4) inches above the back crease of the knee. All items of clothing must be worn as intended by design. Allowable colors are dark khaki and navy. Overalls are not permitted. Stone, white or dark brown uniform bottoms are not allowed. Dark khaki/navy blue skorts are allowed for Pre-K - 2nd grade. Skirts worn at the 5 - 12 grade level must be box pleated style.
- BELTS - A black, brown, khaki, or blue belt must be worn or a plain belt with a buckle no larger than 2" x 3". No studs will be allowed. The entire length of the belt must worn inside the loops. Hanging of any part of the belt outside the belt loops is not allowed. However, Pre-K through 2nd grade students may wear uniform bottoms with an elastic waistband without having to wear a belt. Belt loops should not be removed; if present, a belt must be worn for Pre-K - 2nd grade.
- SOCKS - Socks must be worn at all times. They must be solid navy, white, black, brown, or the school optional color with no emblem or logo. Crew length socks must cover the ankle and be visible above the shoe.
- SHOES - Students must wear a closed shoe (front and back.) Sandals, clogs, flip-flops, slippers, or other similar types of shoes are not allowed. Shoes must be laced and tied; Velcro straps must be secured.
- OUTERWEAR - In cold weather, students will be allowed to wear the following over their school uniform:
- SWEATSHIRT - A sweatshirt must be waist length with a tight, ribbed elastic bottom, must be plain, solid colored in black, white, heather gray, or dark navy blue with no emblem, logo, or marking. Students can wear a sweatshirt in the optional school color with school logo.
- SWEATER - Crew neck, v-neck, or cardigan style (those that button or zip from the bottom) sweaters must have sleeves, must be waist length, must be plain, solid-colored in black, white or dark, navy blue with no emblem, logo, or marking. Optional school color with school logo and school-issued sweaters are permitted.
- LIGHTWEIGHT JACKET/WINDBREAKER (WITH OR WITHOUT HOOD)/COAT - All outerwear, except for sweatshirts, must zip, button, or snap from top to bottom and must not be longer than upper mid-thigh. Outwear must be plain, solid-colored in black, white, khaki, heather gray or dark navy blue with no emblem, logo, or marking, however, jackets in the optional school color with school logo and school-issued jackets are permitted.